Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search
Offshore Communications & Logistics
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Station license 1 D. Campbell Hi as long as your canadian radio license is valid you’ll be fine. In 3 years across the south pacific from mexico, we have never ever been asked for a radio license. Boat registration, proof of insurance in marinas is all you’ll ever need. fair winds
by J. Baillargeon
February 27, 2020
Pacific Puddle Jump 1 B. Short hey BrianNice to hear from yo hope all is well on Carpe Ventus. We were running a net in the Puddle Jump in 2018. If you give an email I can send you the sheet we were using as net operators, we took turns. As you said because not all boats leave La Cruz at the same time, the nets tend to be harder to keep gping as the earlier boats get more separated from the later boats. On our nets during PPJ, folks with better reception transmission acted as relays. Often the net ops could not hear boats checking in, but relays worked. It made for an insanely long net though, close to 60 minutes at times. Boats sans SSB were reporting through Iridium mail. Personally i used Seafarer all the way to Marquesas in addition to PPJ net. Transmi n reception w SF was stellar. Send your address to enzojeanb@me.com and i will try and located my files from PPJ in the meantime.fair winds JB
by J. Baillargeon
February 24, 2020
Canadian mail forwarding service? 3 S. Wood Yes, we too are planning to leave next year and will be needing such a service. We're also looking for buddy boats for an offshore passage to Mx.
by R. Morrison
October 30, 2019
Boat shipping 1 C. Smith There are currently 4 companies moving boats on the west coast. They start in Florida and move thru Panama then up the coast to Victoria. we shipped out of La Paz in April with Raven Yacht Transport which is based in Victoria. Pickup locations vary with shipper. Lynn Greentree
by L. Greentree
September 28, 2017
Practical Sailor Article: HF SSB Radio. Response by a BCA Doner 1 H. Bacon Hi Hugh,Lots to think about in your message.I recently sailed the Atlantic on BCA member Dick Leigthon's Prout 39 catamaran Van Kedisi. We used SSB and Sailmail. However, when Dick added up the whole cost of purchasing, installing, and learning the SSB, Pactor modem, and all the rest, he was left feeling that Satnav might have been a better option.Due to cost, it seems like long-term cruisers are still thinking either/or for SSB versus Sat Phone. I find it interesting that you are still recommending both.Cheers,David Greer
by D. Greer
June 13, 2014
Sign In

Calendar

2020-10-06
BCA-Wide Virtual Club Night - A Family of Five on a Seven Year Loop Around the Pacific

2020-10-14
Vancouver Virtual Club Night -- October 14, 2020

2020-10-27 » 2020-10-29
VI Mid-Island 2020 - Weather Strategies for the Inside Passage (via Zoom)