Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search
Electronics
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Personal data viewable to outsiders on BCA Forum Posts 0 T. Baker The old BCA Message Forum that we were all used to for years was only visible to BCA Members. The new website Forum is viewable to any person in the world with a web browser. That means any personal data like email addresses, phone numbers or addresses for rentals while out cruising will be visible to the public. I hope this changes soon but until it does please be aware of this change. Bottom line: Any personal data you put into any post you enter is viewable to the outside world. Your own personal data in your profile and Member Search content is still safe behind the BCA firewall.
by T. Baker
February 11, 2013
Tablets 5 C. Stask Chris, I think you'll find that the Samsung tablets do have a real gps that works off satellites. At least mine do. I'd test it before buying an external antenna. I've found that mine have worked where ever I was.
by R. Witt
February 21, 2017
Sling Box 5 C. McLean Hi Cam Just a quick note. You're posting this question aboutt sling boxes in the electronics FOR SALE forum. It belongs in the ELECTRONICS Discussion forum a bit lower in the forum list.  cheers Jean B moderator
by J. Baillargeon
August 29, 2013
mounting arm for laptop 1 R. Murray Hello Rob,Roton on Granville Island has a selection of bulk head arms. All sizes. You can also look them up online and their catalog is all there. I ordered an arm for a monitor screen with a rotating ball with clamps from them. So I could position a small solar panel and angle it as needed. They had a large selection and were helpful in figuring out proper type and sizes good luck with the projectJBR. Murray said:looking for a bulkhead mounting arm for a small laptop for the nav station, does anyone know a good local source (vancouver)? thanks rob
by J. Baillargeon
April 25, 2013
Synching AIS - Std Hor VHF > RayM C90 3 S. Muirhead I've just gone through this with our replacement AIS.  We changed from receive only to send/receive and it's a bit trickier.  First you have to make sure you have connected the wires properly from the AIS to chart potter.  It can be confusing as the chart plotters send has to be connected to the AIS receive and vice versa.  Secondly, you have to use the correct port for the correct wires.  Our chart plotter has 4 options.  Thirdly, as the other poster mentioned,  you have to set the port to the correct baud rate and I think most use 13,400 bauds for this.
by D. Smith
April 14, 2013
Radar 2 A. Lange Hello from Nuage, another Fast Passage currently in Panama.  Which one are you?We have both a Furuno 36 mile (4kW) radar with watchman feature and a Sitex AIS transceiver (send and receive).  Since we are sailing around near the Panama Canal the AIS is wonderful in warning us of freighters approaching and their vicinity.  We find that freighters aren't really focused  on their radar anymore they just watch their chart plotter (and AIS images) for other freighters. I think all vessels going on off-shore voyages should have an AIS as this may be the one piece of equipment that will save your vessel and you from these 25 knot/hour freighters. Our AIS some times picks up ships as far away as 90 miles but starts giving useful information; MMSI#, call sign, ship's name, CPA and TCPA about 20 miles away.  Plenty of time to have a meaningful discussion with approaching ship.  If there is a potential collision or near collision (you set the boundaries) then there is an audible and flashing alarm.  That being said AIS doesn't replace radar as this is the one piece equipment that never lies.  It shows you what's out there including small ships without AIS, it guides you into tough anchorages in the dark and, when hooked up to your electronic compass, will tell you where the ships are, how fast they are going, CPA and TCPA.  Buy the best units you can afford and have both pieces of equipment.
by D. Smith
April 14, 2013
Telus or Rogers? Which gets best reception 2 B. Bourlet For most of the Georgia Strait: you'll find that Rogers/Fido is the predominant service.  Telus and others also have a strong presence South of Campbell River.  Either way, you'll find good cellular coverage pretty much everywhere there is population to support the need.  Be aware though, you will loose service in the middle of the Strait. A note about the southern half of the Strait on the Mainland side.  You will lose reception in most of the isolated arms and bays.  This is because so much of the mainland coastline remains unpopulated as compared to the Vancouver Island side.  However if you can 'see' the waters of the Strait... there is a good chance of a cellular signal.  The advice here is not to wait until you're snuggled into a protected anchorage to make that critical phone call.  Do it while you're still underway and out in the open. You probably already know this, but some carriers get along, and some don't.  Depending on their relationships, they will share towers.  Rogers, Fido, T-Mobile are examples of service providers who get along with each other and share towers together.  Telus and Bell are another example, and share towers with each other, but not with Rogers, Fido & T-Mobile.  As new players enter the cellular arena the mix might change.  Enough said: here's a link to the Canadian Cel Tower map. Check it out and you'll see for yourself how sketchy cellular communication becomes as you travel North and/or around the island. http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html As a rule of thumb, you can expect communication if you have line-of-sight, max 10-12km.  You might have communication up to 3km in Near or No-Line Of Sight situations.  Reference the map above to estimate your chances for where you plan to go.  Line of sight, really is... line of sight.  If you're interested, here are some examples: Using the Telus tower at the entrance to Desolation Sound as the reference point (Green Tower on the map) – my experience is as follows: Entrance to Squirrel Cove (distance from tower=10.4k) Clear Line Of Sight and good signal. Inside Squirrel Cove (distance=10.9k) Near Clear Line Of Sight.  The signal remains usable but has become marginal. Next example.  Still using the same Tower.  While anchored deep inside Von Donop Inlet and the distance has become 12k but now there's another hill and lots of trees getting in the way.  No Clear Line of Sight and as expected, the signal has become intermittent.  You might be able to make a messy, 20 second connection before it drops but essentially... it's unusable. If you dingy ashore, and hike to the hilltop - you'd probably be fine. One more example, (still referencing the same Telus tower.)  Even greater distances: West Redonda Island, NE of Rosco Bay (distance to tower = 14k) Clear Line Of Sight and a very good signal. The boat turns, and moves further North.  Heading for Pendrell Sound or Waddington Channel.  As you pass behind the West Redonda headland, the Clear Line of Sight becomes No Clear Line of Sight... and the signal IMMEDIATELY vanishes. It's a little strange to look at the water 100 feet behind you, still disturbed by your passing - and know that 'just over there' you can have nearly full bars, and perfectly good communication.  So for your trip, do take your cel... as it's the easiest way to communicate with family at home - but depend on VHF for marine communications.  Adding to this:  considering SSB is a worthy thought North of the Desolation Islands. Question: Is your interest in Cel... just to stay in touch with people at home? If so – seriously consider the Delorme InReach. This device offers interactive 2-way SMS text  messaging via the Iridium Satellite System and works anywhere in the world you can see the sky.  It also sends/receives short emails.  The SMS ability is exactly like two telephones communicating with each other except for how a phone, when it goes over the character allotment for a message - that message gets broken into multiple messages.  The satellite version will simply truncate your message so you need to pay attention. http://www.inreachcanada.com/inreach-overview/ Idea for the Cellular side of things:  You can use a booster to enhance/extend your Cellular range.  You will need to match the booster to the Cellular Technology you intend to use (frequency and signal type of your phone...) but with this setup, you will increase the sensitivity of what you can receive, and by a large degree -- increase the power by which you transmit.  Very effectively increasing your cellular range. The units work really well... but there's a cost so depending on your situation, "How important is this to me?” is a question you will find yourself asking. A note about enhancing cellular signals:  The cell phone in your hand will be very near the signal regenerator (aboard your boat) so your phone will always see full bars.  You need to keep in mind however, that your signal regenerator might be regenerating a 1 bar signal - so in reality, you are working with a very powerful single bar.  What's the point you ask?  Well... your phone, by itself probably won't work well with a single bar, but a signal regenerator can do amazing things with that bar. Everything has it's limits, and the final decision is yours. http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/
by S. Muirhead
February 6, 2013
free plotter software 2 AVANT thanks for the link, looks like openCPN is the way to go.  It looks like i need CM93 (v2) charts to get it going -- does anyone have these downloaded that I can copy on a CD or memory stick?
by AVANT
January 9, 2013
Sign In
Sign In securely
Calendar

2017-12-19
VI South Club Night - Christmas Social and BCA Awards Presentation

2018-01-10
Vancouver Club Night: Florida to Puerto Vallarta: The Ongoing Adventures Aboard J’SEA

2018-01-13
Vancouver 2018 - Preparing Your Boat for Offshore

2018-01-16
VI SOUTH JANUARY CLUB NIGHT - Cruising SE Asia: Sailing the Tropical Never-Never Land

2018-01-17 » 2018-01-21
Vancouver International Boat Show

2018-01-26
OCA 2018 - Slow Boat to Greece

2018-01-27
Vancouver - 2018 - Emergencies On Board

2018-01-28
Vancouver 2018 - Maneuvering in Tight Quarters

2018-02-09
OCA 2018 - The “Accidental Circumnavigation”

2018-02-17
VI Victoria 2018 - Icom M802: Starting From Scratch

2018-03-09
OCA 2018 - Bears, Bergy Bits & Bubble Netting

2018-03-10
VI Mid-Island 2018 - Basic Marine Radar

2018-03-14
Vancouver Club Night - Solomon Islands - The Undiscovered Paradise!

2018-03-23
Vancouver - 2018 - Nigel Calder on Marine Electrical

2018-03-23
Vancouver 2018 - Nigel Calder - Lessons Learned