Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search
Practical Sailor Article: HF SSB Radio. Response by a BCA Doner
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2014-06-12 at 8:01:15 PM GMT
Practical Sailor Article: HF SSB Radio. Response by a BCA Doner

Hi folks, during our circumnavigation 1999 through 2008 we found the SSB radio coupled to e-mail first PinOak and later Sailmail to be a vital part of our communication suite. It was and remains the only long range capability offering "lateral communication". As such the SSB HF radio remains the communication platform suitable for Net communications. Nets are indeed a vital part of inter-yacht information sharing. This is rightly highlighted in the subject article.

We also had Inmarsat C. Today, I would choose a Sat phone and view that comm platform as an essential element of a present day communication suite.

As a long time seminar Presenter at The Toronto Boatshow and many yacht clubs, I stressed the value of HF comms as an essential component because of its unique capability for lateral communication among yachts. There is no single solution. VHF, HF Radio, and Sat Phone are all essential to a safe blue water passage. Hugh Bacon

2014-06-13 at 7:39:41 PM GMT
Hi Hugh,

Lots to think about in your message.

I recently sailed the Atlantic on BCA member Dick Leigthon's Prout 39 catamaran Van Kedisi. We used SSB and Sailmail. However, when Dick added up the whole cost of purchasing, installing, and learning the SSB, Pactor modem, and all the rest, he was left feeling that Satnav might have been a better option.

Due to cost, it seems like long-term cruisers are still thinking either/or for SSB versus Sat Phone. I find it interesting that you are still recommending both.

Cheers,

David Greer

Sign In
Sign In securely
Calendar

2017-08-25 » 2017-08-27
BCA Gorge Harbour Rendezvous & Pig Roast

2017-09-19
VI South Club Night - Slow Boat to Greece: A Family Escapade in the Med

2017-10-07 » 2017-10-09
BCA Thanksgiving Rendezvous - Thetis Island

2017-10-14 » 2017-10-15
Vancouver 2017 - Psychology of Voyaging

2017-10-21
Vancouver 2017: Understanding, Installing and Operating HF Marine Radio Transceivers

2017-10-22
Vancouver 2017: SCS Pactor modem installation and operation