quick way to subsribe to forums
Moderator(s): Vimmy Dhillon, Rudy Witt
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2013-02-14 at 3:10:42 PM GMT
quick way to subsribe to forums

Hi

Go under manage profile > manage subscriptions. All forums are listed there and you can simply click the ones you want to hear from.

Jean Baillargeon

Why should I care about posterity?
What's posterity ever done for me?

Groucho Marx

2013-03-04 at 5:43:58 PM GMT
?

Hi Jean,

I feel like I am in a dentist chair, sans-drugs.

I would like to subscribe to some of the forms but I am unable to?

I did try what you wrote above, but it simply tells me that I am not subscribed at this time.    hmmmm ?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Paul

P Guenette

sv Christina-Eos

2013-03-17 at 2:39:59 AM GMT
Managing Forum Subscriptions
This is because you have to first subscribe to the Forums before you can Manage your Forum Subscriptions. Please refer to the Forum: BCA Website FAQ:  New Website Forum How -To Document for more information on managing subscriptions

Last edited March 17, 2013
2017-12-13 at 6:28:07 PM GMT
Can't Get No Satisfaction!

In spite of numerous attempts to figure out how to subscribe to all forums so I will reliably get notifications whenever anything is posted anywhere on the forums, I still only get occasional notices. 

Whenever I  think to come to this board, I find that there has been activity I was unaware of days or weeks before. I suspect that I am not alone in this and that is why there is so little action here on a board that should be hopping.  Nobody remembers to come back and when we do, we have to scan the list to see if there is anything new.

'Subscribe to All' is an option that should be an obvious and simple. Check one box and get it all in real time, or another box and get a daily digest with links.

I suspect many others would like this option, and having it available and prominent would bring this more or less moribund board to life.

Jes' sayin'

Cassiopeia -- Bavaria 42 -- Port Sidney Marina
Just Do It! - Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35 -- Powell River
Both in the Cooper Boating fleet and available for charter

Baja magic --Beneteau 35 -- Marina Palmira, La Paz, BCS, Mexico
Carpe Diem Hunter 23.5 - Sudbury, Ontario

2017-12-14 at 5:59:12 AM GMT
Hi Allen,

Sorry to hear you are having problems and I agree with you that a subscribe to all button would be very useful and I wish the website vendor offered such an option but they don't. It seemed an obvious feature and I asked them about it when I set up the website a few years ago.

Failing that, did you follow Jean's suggestion by clicking the subscribe to instant updates in all the 25 or so forums? As Jean advises this menu is available in the profile page. It is also available at top of the Forums page "My Subscriptions & Settings". Do you see red x marks beside all the 25 Forum topics next to "Unsubscribe to Instant Updates"? NOTE THIS SETTING IS COUNTER INTUITIVE - a red "x" means you are subscribed while a green check mark mean you are not subscribed!

Ian Clark
S/V Namo
Aluminum Dix 43
Somewhere in Mexico

2017-12-14 at 11:34:35 AM GMT
I can only conclude that the admins and other privileged accounts are seeing things the rest of us do not.

I have spent hours -- no, days when I was a watchkeeper -- trying to do things on this site that are easy on other platforms.

I again spent the better part of an hour just now trying to do what has been suggested.

Either I am missing something, or the options described simply do not exist in my profile.

2017-12-15 at 3:33:13 AM GMT
I have verified that what has been suggested to me above is not available to me on my profile page and there is no easy way to be notified in real time or by daily digest when new posts are made.

IMO, these are serious deficiencies that should be taken up in a support/features-request ticket with the software provider.

Surely such an important and necessary feature must exist and not be turned on, or the provider should make implementing that feature a priority.

2017-12-15 at 7:36:11 AM GMT
Allen, I take your point, and will make such a request of Your Membership, the company that provides the foundation for our site.

In the mean time, the only way to subscribe to email updates from the forums is to subscribe to each forum. There are currently 31 forums. I think they should be reduced and generalised, but that's another discussion.

When you choose a particular forum you will see a drop down menu at the top labelled "Forum Options". In that menu you will find options to subscribe to immediate updates, or a digest as well as several other options. On our system the digest is sent out daily. I've been subscribed to the digest for each forum for a while now. I believe that I'm getting informed of all new entries, but I haven't tracked it that closely. It was through a digest email that I became aware of your recent posts.

I have taken the liberty of subscribing you to the instant update of each forum. It took me about 5 minutes so it isn't an onerous task. (I say this to encourage any reader of this post to go ahead and try it.) You will now find that all of the forums are listed in your "My Subscriptions" section of your profile. You can also get to "My Subscriptions" in the "Forum Options" menu that I mentioned above. Once you have subscribed to a forum, you can edit your options for that forum in the "My Subscriptions" area where you will see a list of all the forums you are subscribed to.

Allen, since you've been monitoring the email updates, I would really appreciate it if you could point out a forum entry that you weren't advised of from this point forward so that I have an example to take to YM in the form of a support ticket. You should, in fact, get an email that tells you about this entry. If you didn't please let me know.

Rudy Witt
SV Aquestaer

2017-12-19 at 4:55:20 AM GMT
Hi Rudy,

I agree with all that you say on this topic. My advice to Allen was incorrect in that it only dealt with editing forum preferences. As you describe, and I now remember, this page is only relevant once one has subscribed to the forums in the first place (i.e. by using the "Forum Options" drop down box at the top of each forum of interest).

It has been a five years since I set up the BCA website on YM and with this span of time, the old saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" seems appropriate.

Thanks you for clarifying the situation and for your support of the BCA website.

Regards,
Ian
S/V Namo
somewhere in Mexico

Sign In
Sign In securely
Calendar

2018-01-17 » 2018-01-21
Vancouver International Boat Show - See you there!

2018-01-18
VI Mid-Island Presentation Jan 18 - Northern and Southern Europe

2018-01-26
OCA 2018 - Slow Boat to Greece

2018-01-27
Vancouver - 2018 - Emergencies On Board

2018-01-28
Vancouver 2018 - Maneuvering in Tight Quarters

2018-02-09
OCA 2018 - The “Accidental Circumnavigation”

2018-02-17
VI Victoria 2018 - Icom M802: Starting From Scratch

2018-02-20
VI South Club Night - Cruising Japan's Inland Sea: BCA Japan Rendezvous

2018-03-09
OCA 2018 - Bears, Bergy Bits & Bubble Netting

2018-03-10
VI Mid-Island 2018 - Basic Marine Radar

2018-03-14
Vancouver Club Night - Solomon Islands - The Undiscovered Paradise!

2018-03-17
VI Victoria 2018 - Fibreglass and Epoxy Repairs and Maintenance

2018-03-23
Vancouver - 2018 - Nigel Calder on Marine Electrical

2018-03-23
Vancouver 2018 - Nigel Calder - Lessons Learned

2018-03-24
Vancouver - 2018: Mahina-BCA Offshore Cruising Seminar