Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search
Boat shipping
Moderator(s): Vimmy Dhillon, Rudy Witt
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2017-09-08 at 12:03:08 AM GMT
Posts: 27
Boat shipping
Need some advice for a boat to be shipped from New Zealand to Golfito then on to Victoria. Apparently it has to be done in two stages as the full route is not available.  What are the companies doing Golfito/Victoria these days and are there any to be recommended or not recommended.  The boat is a catamaran.  


2017-09-08 at 4:50:12 PM GMT
Posts: 5
The coastal route is a tough passage. Can be done but you need a tough crew, tough boat, time to wait out contrary winds, and lots of fuel. Golfito is near due south of Toronto so you get to do a lot of miles west. Leave Golfito late November/December after hurricane season, punch up to San Diego Jan/Feb while enjoying some stops along the way. Wait for northern summer - and depart San Diego May/June. Pay close attention to weather all the way and wait in port if wind > 15 knots on the nose.

Lots of sailors favour the Hawaii route which is likely easier on a proven boat and crew. Leave after hurricane season, motor sailing north to find the trades which you can ride to Hawaii. Enjoy Hawaii for a few months until northern summer - then go straight north for some hundreds of miles to get north of the Pacific high and into westerlies before turning east.

If any doubt about the boats off shore capabilities - coastal route offers many places to bail out. You may want to consider hired captain/crew.

If $ are not an issue - I think I would wait in Golfito for next scheduled run - but consider that some boat moving companies are not so reliable. That would be easiest route and boat would arrive without much wear and tear.


2017-09-11 at 8:26:11 PM GMT
Posts: 27
Thanks Rae. Sailing it is not an option at this point. We shipped ours but, you're right - one needs time to spare as our ship was late arriving in Golfito and the date couldn't be confirmed until a few days before. They break down and get hung up in other ports. Our first booking in fact was cancelled and we had to start all over again....while sitting in Golfito. It's great when it arrives here, though.


Sign In
Sign In securely
Calendar

2018-03-06
Calgary Club Night: First Tracks to Russia - our Northern European Summer

2018-03-09
OCA 2018 - Bears, Bergy Bits & Bubble Netting

2018-03-10
VI Mid-Island 2018 - Basic Marine Radar

2018-03-10
Vancouver 2018 - Offshore Marine Electrical Prep w/ Jeff Cote

2018-03-14
Vancouver Club Night - Solomon Islands - The Undiscovered Paradise!

2018-03-17
VI Victoria 2018 - Fibreglass and Epoxy Repairs and Maintenance

2018-03-20
VI South Club Night - Taonui to Antarctica

2018-03-23
Vancouver 2018 - Nigel Calder on Marine Electrical

2018-03-23
Vancouver 2018 - Nigel Calder - Lessons Learned

2018-03-24
Vancouver 2018: Mahina-BCA Offshore Cruising Seminar

2018-03-25
Vancouver 2018- Nigel Calder on Diesel Engines

2018-04-07 » 2018-04-28
VI Victoria 2018 - Docking Strategies: How to Build Your Docking Skills

2018-04-14
VI Victoria 2018 - Basic Marine Weather w/ Scott Crawshaw

2018-04-14 » 2018-04-15
VI Victoria 2018 - Intermediate Marine Weather w/ Scott Crawshaw

2018-04-21
Vancouver 2018 - Basic Weather with Scott Crawshaw