Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search
Tablets
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2017-02-12 at 11:06:12 PM GMT
Tablets
Looking at buying a new Samsung or Apple tablet for our trip to Japan and a backup to our chartploter on Inceptus. They do not seem to tell you the GPS quality. Any one have any advice or recommendations on the tablets to be used on the water? My Samsung 6 smart phone has shrunk, I need bigger letters.

Chris Stask
SV Inceptus

Attached Images:

Last edited February 12, 2017
2017-02-12 at 11:55:22 PM GMT
All the tablets I've seen have non-WAAS gps. Some have glonass too. They are all a-gps which means they use cell towers for a fast first fix While the gps
Finds the satellites, which usually takes 1-2 miles minutes. This fix is usually horrible.

Make 100% sure there is a real gps in the device

Costco
Usually has a deal on Samsung tablets

2017-02-13 at 6:31:44 PM GMT
I bought a Sony tablet (Android) about 3 years ago. It has several advantages. The GPS is solid and never given us problems. It is not WAAS but I am not convinced that is a problem. It is supposedly waterproof but only if you are not plugged in to a charger. Nonetheless, it is fairly water resistant.
It has no cell phone connection so it is truly GPS reliant.
Two slight problems. When running Navionics, the battery slowly degrades, even with a 12 V charger plugged in. I turn off the display when not actively using it.
Second, the touchscreen works on some sort of capacitive connection to your finger. If the screen gets wet, it thinks it is being touched all over and goes wonky. this has only happened a couple of times, and clears up when the screen is dried.
I would recommend it for your stated requirements

Boats are always safest in a harbour; but that is not what they are built for.

2017-02-15 at 8:52:29 PM GMT
If you're losing charge like that, changing to a 2 amp charger may help. Typical USB and 12 chargers at ~1 amp.

2017-02-21 at 6:20:02 AM GMT
Thanks, Rob and Brian. I will be buying the new Samsung tablet from Costco. I like to use it on our trips with Navionics to look at distance. I thought the tablet GPS worked off satellites? Could you hook the tablet up to an external GPS antenna?

Chris

Chris Stask
SV Inceptus

2017-02-22 at 4:18:42 AM GMT
Chris, I think you'll find that the Samsung tablets do have a real gps that works off satellites. At least mine do. I'd test it before buying an external antenna. I've found that mine have worked where ever I was.

Rudy Witt
SV Aquestaer

Sign In
Sign In securely
Calendar

2017-07-29 » 2017-08-04
Peterson Cup Cruising Rally

2017-08-05 » 2017-08-07
August Rendezvous

2017-10-07 » 2017-10-09
BCA Thanksgiving Rendezvous - Thetis Island