While this one day course will not help you earn a BCIT marine certificate, with professional instruction on how to use your radar effectively to navigate and avoid collisions it will increase the safety of you and your vessel at sea.
• Course Description
This basic one day radar familiarization course explains fundamental principles of radar and enables students to setup and tune the radar display and operate various controls. The participants will be able to plan a short coastal passage and use radar parallel indexing technique.
Practical evaluation by the Instructor.
• Course Learning Outcomes/Competencies
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
1. Explain fundamental principles of radar.
2. Setup and tune basic radar display.
3. Operate various radar controls to optimize radar picture.
4. Use radar in H!up, C/up, and N/up display orientation.
5. Operate radar in true motion and relative motion.
6. Operate radar for collision avoidance.
7. Use radar parallel indexing.
The course fee also includes a copy of the book - The Radar Book: Effective Navigation and Collision Avoidance
By Kevin Monahan. We advise that you read this in advance of the course.